I plan to make these tomorrow. We have loads of lemons on our lemon trees and a healthy lemon bar is a definite treat. Here is the recipe. Let me know how it turns out for you.
3 whole eggs
1/4 cup honey (I found the smaller amount was perfectly sweetened enough – raw honey is your best option)
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup coconut oil (I cut back on the coconut oil from the original recipe since it was too strong of a coconut flavor to me. 1/4 cup was perfect! Choice virgin cold pressed unrefined coconut oil for best nutritional value.)
1 cup of raw almonds (soaked and dehydrated, if possible)
1 cup of raw pecans (I have used practically any combination of nuts here!)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup of melted virgin coconut oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
1. Blend the eggs, honey, and lemon juice together in a small sauce pan until thoroughly combined.
2. Turn the heat on to medium high and add coconut oil, mixing regularly until the oil has melted.
3. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens and bubbles.
4. Remove from pan and place in a bowl in the refrigerator to cool and thicken further.
1. Place nuts in a food processor or blender and pulse until finely chopped, but not pureed. You may have little chunks of nuts, and that is fine.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse again until well combined.
3. Spread over the bottom of a greased 8 x 8 inch pan.
4. Bake for 15-18 minutes in a 400 degree oven, until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
5. Cool completely before layering the filling over the top. Return to the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Recipe from http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2010/08/healthy-lemon-bars.htm
2 Comments Add yours
YUM, YUM, YUM! The best recipe for lemon bars I’ve found. My husband is a diabetic (his doctor calls him a Type 1.5). He LOVES lemon bars. Thank you, and yes, I don’t read your words every day, but I keep that 20 minutes of writing in my eye to encourage me through my depression and not writing.
Thank you, Sherrey, for commenting. I’m glad you keep “that twenty minutes of writing” in your eye for encouragement. That makes me happy to hear. Let me know how the lemon bars turn out for you!