I wrote this list today in a writing group sponsored by Story Circle Network. This will be short but sweet tonight since it’s almost 9 and I started this morning at 8 am. Perhaps, I need to add to my list of regrets: sitting too much and not walking more. Yes, that definitely makes the list.
Some fo the things I regret (not a definitive list and in no order of importance)
- Wasting time on worrying about my weight, my appearance, my intelligence and my writing ability.
- Not traveling more when Ray and I were first married.
- Fighting too much with Ray when our kids were little.
- Not seeing my mother the last couple of days before she died.
- Being too hard on myself
- Not taking more literature classes
- Not understanding Ray sooner
- Not understanding myself sooner
- Not relaxing and enjoying life sooner
- Not devoting more time to my writing
- Not seeing my grandkids even more often than I already do
- Not yet developing a plan to see all the major art museums in the world
- Not spending at least some time every year on the shores of the ocean
- Not recognizing sooner what I can control and what I can’t
- Not singing longer with the LA Camerata
- Not figuring out how to spend more time with the people I love the most
- Not learning until I was much older that I have a voice and I can use it
- Not developing an exercise regime (still need to do this) so that I can maintain my good health
- Not forgiving myself very easily
- Not having yet published a book that I’m proud to have written
With that in mind, I’ll attend to things that I can still change. That is not a bad plan.
Luckily, I have learned to forgive myself for things I can’t change. That is not a regret.
Good night, my friends.
We’ll talk again soon.