My son-in-law Ron makes this dish without greens or jalapenos and serves the roasted sweet potatoes on a flour tortilla with feta cheese and freshly grated cabbage. He calls his dish sweet potato tacos and I could eat them all day. I think the addition of greens, pickled jalapenos, and brine could deepen the delicious flavor even more.
This recipe is fast and easy. Ron cooks his sweet potatoes in the Instant Pot before sauteing them in olive oil. He says don’t be shy with the olive oil. This recipe is a one-pan dish that you roast in the oven. Nothing is easier than that!
I can attest to the flavor of sweet potato tacos and am looking forward to trying this recipe. I already know it will be a winner.
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled or unpeeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced pickled jalapeños, plus 3 tablespoons brine
- 10 ounces baby spinach, kale, mustard greens or arugula
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 to 3 ounces feta, sliced or crumbled
- Step 1 Heat the oven to 450 degrees. On a sheet pan, toss the sweet potatoes with 3 tablespoons oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread into an even layer and roast until fork-tender and browned in spots, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Step 2 Drizzle the sweet potatoes with the pickled jalapeño brine, then pile on the baby spinach. You may need to stir the spinach into the potatoes to help everything fit. Drizzle the greens with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast, stirring halfway through, until the spinach is wilted and the liquid on the sheet pan has evaporated 5 to 7 minutes.
- Step 3 Sprinkle with the pickled jalapeños, scallions, and feta. Serve warm or at room temperature.