Today, Rachael and I made this soup and cheesy garlic bread for lunch. It was easy, delicious, and completely satisfying. I am a big enthusiast of the Instant Pot, which I used for this recipe. However, you can easily make this soup on top of the stove. Just saute the vegetables in a deep pan, add all the other ingredients (except the cream or half and half), bring to a boil, then simmer until the potatoes are soft. You can use the immersion blender right in the pan. Then add dairy, give it a stir, and the soup is ready. Add the garnishes once the soup is in the bowl.
This is a wonderful combination of flavors. It’s also perfect for the upcoming winter storm that is about to hit CA and much of the U.S. tomorrow.
Potato Leek Soup
Ingredients for Soup
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 leeks with tough greens removed, chopped (be sure and wash leeks thoroughly to remove sand or dirt)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 pound potatoes (6 – 8 medium) peeled and cubed
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup cream or half and half (optional)
- Crumbled bacon, green onion, and paprika, for garnish
- A handful of arugula on top
INSTRUCTIONS Using Instant Pot
- Turn on Saute mode on the Instant Pot. Add olive oil to the pot. Add the onion and leeks. Saute for 3-5 minutes, just to soften the leeks, not to brown them. Add the salt, pepper and garlic.
- Add the potatoes, broth, thyme, and bay leaf. Secure the lid and set to cook for 6 minutes on high pressure. Do a quick pressure release.
- Remove the thyme sprig and bay leaf.
- Using an immersion blender, puree the soup to a smooth texture. Add the cream. Turn Saute function back on to heat. Turn off as soon as the soup is heated thoroughly or it will burn.
- Sprinkle with paprika and green onions. We add arugula to the top to make a pretty garnish and increase the flavor.
GARLIC CHEESE TOAST
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated Swiss or Jarlsberg cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives or 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
Heat olive oil in the skillet and add chopped garlic. Cook until soft, but not brown. (This is pretty fast.)
Take off the heat and let it cool.
Add cheese to garlic and mix.
Spread the cheese/garlic mixture on 4 pieces of sourdough bread
Place in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. (Watch to make sure it doesn’t burn.)
Cut bread in halves, add garnish if you wish, and serve with soup.